Inspired by Jack’s Valentines day themed bake sale at work and the fact that this delicious cake was featured in this months Mother and Baby magazine; I couldn’t help but delve into the chocolatey goodness and get my bake on during one of Elliott’s naps (with the help of my talented Mum).
Prep: 20 minutes (Plus setting time)
Cook: 35- 40 minutes
Makes: 8- 10 portions
180g unsalted butter, softened
180g caster sugar
180g self-raising flour
30g cocoa powder
3 large eggs
For the filling: For the icing:
200ml double cream 2 tbsp raspberry jam
150g raspberries 100g dark chocolate
30g unsalted butter
A few raspberries
1.Preheat the oven 180oC. Grease and line the base of two 20cm round cake tins (The recipe said two 20cm heart shaped sandwich tins but I didn’t have them and didn’t have time to order but it was easy to adapt)
2. Combine all the cake ingredients, using an electric whisk, until smooth. Spoon into the prepared tins and level the top. Bake for 35- 40 minutes, until well risen and shrinking away from the sides. Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
3. To make the filling, whisk the cream until stiff, then fold in the raspberries and spread over the bottom layer of the cake. Place second sponge on top of the cream and press down.
4. Gentle draw the shape of a heart on your cake and then slice into the heart shape when you are happy. (Your knife lines will be covered by the icing)
5. For the icing, melt the jam in a saucepan until runny, then spread over the top of the cake.
6. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a small bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the bowel doesn’t touch the water), then leave to cool and thicken a little.
7. Spread over the top of the cake. Leave to set for 1 hour, then decorate with raspberries.
This bake was very delicious and I most certainly will be baking this again.
Use the hash tag #oneaddonemondaymakes on instagram if you bake, I’d love to see it!